WWW94: plenary session
initially the plenary session was set up to define the ten most important
future directions for the World Wide Web. but what i had expected to become
a discussion turned out to be a number of statements from people who had
organized this conference or have a leading role on the web. this was
perhaps because of the large audience.
the following issues have been considered important (however there is no order
of importance in this list):
- providing tools to help people to find the information they are looking
for fast and easy
- providing mechanisms to allow operations being performed asynchronous to
increase the overall performance
- find solutions to the resource location problems
- collaboration of people working on the web, especially collaboration
between the educational institutes and the commercial organizations
- research on three dimensional documents
- pros and cons of commercialization of the web (money versus freedom)
- integration of multimedia (sound, video-clips, access for disabled people
- increasing wide spread of the web, a guy said: "the web will become more
important than fax ..."
- WWW everywhere, WWW on hand held computers
- providing user assistance
from the audience came a very important comment, which i personally think is
one of the most important issues:
- standardization and maintainability
13-jun-94 (ra) /
!!! Dieses Dokument stammt aus dem ETH Web-Archiv
und wird nicht mehr gepflegt !!!
!!! This document is stored in the ETH Web archive
and is no longer maintained !!!