during this talk, we learned a few more details about the new HTML V3.2
standard. HTML shall become a SGML application with its own document type
some highlights of V3.2:
- attributes for the <BODY>-tag, such as background
color, background images etc.
- header attributes provide control over the alignment
- various attributes give the author more control over the layout of the page
- simple tables
- attributes to the list tags
- text attributes such as strikethrough
- support for applets
- <FONT>-tag to control various attributes of the font to be
- client-side image maps
- maps for graphic AND text based browsers
- DECLARE OBJECT to pass parameters in cgi scripts (the object will NOT be
processed by the browser)
the <OBJECT>-tag will be used to insert objects into a Web
page, such as sound, video, images, applets or ActiveX:
<OBJECT DATA="earth.avi" TYPE="application/avi"
IMG SRC="earth.gif" ALT="the earth">text</OBJECT>
there will be many attributes, some of them might be object dependent.
the implementation of frames is still under consideration and is
NOT yet part of the standard ! frames will most likely be implemented
via style sheets. the definition of a frame in a style sheet may look like this:
back to WWW5 main document.
WWW5 HTML /
07-jun-96 (ra) /
!!! Dieses Dokument stammt aus dem ETH Web-Archiv
und wird nicht mehr gepflegt !!!
!!! This document is stored in the ETH Web archive
and is no longer maintained !!!